Monday, July 1, 2013

Aliens UD-4L "Cheyenne" Dropship Cockpit

During my lunch breaks, I try to fill the downtime by researching 3D models, I know it's sad :) Sometimes I get lucky with finding good scans of blueprints or 2D CAD drawings. Sometimes I even find good photos taken at precise angles.

I've been trying to looking for decent drawings of the UD-4L "Cheyenne" Dropship's cockpit for the last 5 years, without much success. Last week, I have eventually found something that I use:



I also found a bunch of good movie stills, including photos of Dropship interior. This one of the 'cargo bay' has been very useful.



However, in the image below I spotted something that looked very wrong, guess what it is:


The HUD. It's too low and would make it totally impractical to use! I've watched this film many, many times and I missed this detail.

Anyway, I've made improvements to the cockpit and the next stage is to add the consoles and that useless HUD...


2 comments:

orpex said...

The HUD is the only thing that seemed off? I have trouble getting to that front seat - it takes an acrobatic act to maneuver up there.

My project on Indiegogo

I actually started construction based on that very blueprint ... but since obtained all of the set designs. Trick is in Hollywood you remove a wall so that the camera can get a shot - might as well let the actress load in that way too.

Unknown said...

Hi Orpex,

You mentioned on your Indiegogo site that you managed to get copies of the blueprints. I've tried several times in the past to contact Fox, but I didn't get a reply. Please would you be able to provide me with the contact at Fox, so I can obtain a copy for myself.

Many Thanks
George